It's the weekend and I love going to our local farmers market to get some local and seasonally grown fresh food. I was happy to also pick up some new organic peanut butter and had to make something with it. This recipe for Peanut Butter Blondies is so incredibly easy and great to have on hand incase company stops in.
It is gluten free, dairy free, made with organic products and a little something extra. Just wait...you'll see.
Three things I wanted to share about some of the ingredients in this recipe.
Chickpeas: Top 4 Health Benefits
- Protein. This little pea provides the amount of protein found in meat and dairy products, but without the high calories and saturated fats.
- Manganese. This trace mineral is a cofactor for a number of enzymes to aid in energy production AND antioxidant defences.
- Blood sugar. This bean helps balance blood sugar levels while providing a steady slow-burning energy.
- Weight loss. Great for weight loss as it helps to control your appetite because of a low GI, making you feel fuller, longer.
Eggs: Free Run vs. Free Range
Free Run eggs are from chickens that can run free in an open concept barn with nests and perches. They do not go outside.
Free Range eggs? David Suzuki explains it best.
"Free-range" means hens see the light of day (depending on the weather) and their feet actually come in contact with the earth.
In understanding the difference you can choose what you are comfortable supporting and purchasing. But keep in mind, not every egg producer has the same ideas of an open concept barn. Some farmers may have an open concept barn for chickens to walk about, but it may also mean that each chicken has about 1 square foot of space. So thousands of chickens could be living the 'wonderful' open concept life. Check with the producers, call them and find out.
For the sake of this recipe, I'm using a Free Range organic egg from a local farm in my area.
For the topping of this protein packed snack, I'm using a favorite chocolate of mine. Triple Truffle™ Chocolate by Youngevity. This dark chocolate is chalk full of calcium, vitamin D, and magnesium. It also contains ingredients to boost your immune system and is full of antioxidants. It has over a 16,000 ORAC value. That's HUGE! With the cold and flu season upon us, this chocolate is my indulgence but also my daily dose to stay healthy.
My children love it too!
Now let's get to the good stuff! These peanut butter blondies are smooth, creamy and light.
- 1 can (16oz) organic chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I like Arrowhead Mills Creamy Organic Peanut Butter. See here.)
- 1/3 cup pure organic maple syrup
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate ( Triple Truffle™ Chocolate from Youngevity), chopped to pea size
Pre heat oven at 350F.
Mix all ingredient (except the chocolate) in a food processor/blender. Blend until impossibly smooth.
Butter a 8x8 baking dish. I always save the wrapping from my blocks of butter for jobs just like this.
Pour your blondie mixture into the prepared baking dish and smooth out. Then sprinkle with your Triple Truffle™ Chocolate (or dark chocolate chips).
Bake for about 20 minutes (depending on your oven this will vary) or until cooked through out.
Let it cook down. Or if you're impatient like me and want it to go with your morning coffee, put it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes. Once it has cooled down, cut into squares and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy these blondies as much as I do. And that each and everyone of you can have your very own 'Blondie' moment.
*original recipe brought to you by www.heatherrobertson.com (alternations made to make it complete organic and Dr. Glidden approved).