Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Muffins
These muffins are so delicious and hit the spot. This is the time of year when all you want is a cup of coffee/tea and something to munch on. Being that these are gluten free with organic ingredients, they are also incredible healthy and don't have an insane amount of sugar. Just look at the ingredients of a simple carrot muffin from a very big, very old chain fast food restaurant.
Enriched wheat flour, carrots, sugar, canola oil, egg white, invert sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, sodium bicarbonate, batter thickener (carrageenan, guar gum, soy lecithin), salt, emulsifier blend (propylene glycol mono fatty acid esters, soy monoglycerides, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate), modified corn starch, modified milk ingredients.
Do you even know what invert sugar is? It is a sugar syrup of both glucose and fructose. Cause mankind so desperately needs more genetically modified, highly refined sugars.
What about soy monoglycerides? This ingredient is derived from soybean oil. Keep in mind that the soybean is the second largest GM (genetically modified) crop in the US. In 2013 the adoption rate was up to 93%! Are you kidding me?
Remember, the WHO (World Health Organization) just released a report that found glyphosate (the pesticide used on GM crops) causes cancer. CANCER! And we are eating this stuff like it's going out of style and 93% of the time, we don't even realize it!
Excuse me while I pass on this and make my own food that I can have control over and know what I'm actually putting in my body.
With all that been said, let me share a great, simple and non-cancer inducing pumpkin muffin that everyone will love.
- 1 1/2 c. almond meal, organic
- 3 egg, omega-3, cage-free, organic
- 1 tsp. baking soda, pure
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground, organic
- 1 1/2 tsp. spice, pumpkin pie, organic
- 1/8 tsp. sea salt, unrefined and pure
- 1/4 c. coconut sugar, organic
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, organic
- 3/4 c. pumpkin, fresh, organic
- handful of pumpkin seeds, organic (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease 6 muffin tins with butter, or just use paper muffin cups.
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl mix vanilla and pumpkin.
- Add the dry mixture to the pumpkin one.
- Pour mix into the muffin tins.
- Optional: sprinkle pumpkin seeds on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-25 minutes on the middle rack.
- Stick a toothpick in at 15 minutes. If it comes out clean, and the muffins seem firm enough on the top, they are done and will be wonderfully moist inside.
Hope you enjoy this recipe and make a batch to share with loved ones in the coming holidays.