Charming Créme Brûlée
Créme Brûlée is one of those desserts that seems too fancy and thus too hard to actually make. Nothing could be further from the truth. You don't need a French accent, blow torch or mad kitchen skills. See the easy way to enjoy this dessert and impress your friends/family. Bonus, it only requires 4 ingredients, is gluten free and full of healthy egg yolks.
- 1 liter organic heavy cream (1 quart)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scrapped
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 6 organic free range/run egg yolks
- hot water
- Preheat oven at 325˚F.
- In a saucepan, pour heavy cream and add vanilla bean. Heat until boiling then remove to cool for about 15 minutes. Remove vanilla bean once cooled.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the sugar and the egg yolks until it looks pale yellow in color. Slowly add the cream until well blended.
- Pour into ramekins (or whatever you are using to serve them) and place in a roasting pan or cake pan. Fill up the pan with hot water until it reaches mid way on the ramekins.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. The sides should be firm, the inside still a bit wobbly.
- Once baked, place in fridge for between 2 hrs to 2 days.
Ready to Serve
Take out ramekins 20 minutes before serving and turn broil on in your oven.
Using the other 1/2 cup of sugar, sprinkle a layer on the tops of each ramekin evenly. Place ramekins on a cookie sheet and put in oven close to the top heating element.
DON'T BLINK! It doesn't take long for the sugar to melt and brown, but if you blink it will be perfect and then burnt, so watch closely.
Once the tops of melted and crispy remove and let cool for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
We enjoyed our créme brûlée with two chilled glasses of Baileys and the company of a crackling fire and good conversation. Hoping everyone can enjoy this dessert in much the same way.