Gluten Free Artisan Bread
This artisan gluten free bread is delicious and quite easy to make. The first batch you make will take a little longer then normal because you'll have to make your gluten free flour mixture. But after that, about 3.5 hours from start to finish. Not bad for fresh homemade baked bread. The recipes will make 3 small rounded loves, about the size of a large hand grasp.
Gluten free flour mixture.
Makes just over 4 pounds (2 kilograms).
- White Rice Flour (6 cups)
- Sorghum Flour (3 1/4 cups)
- Tapioca Flour (1 3/4 cups)
- Potato Starch (1 1/4 cups)
- Xantham Gum (1/4 cup)
- 6 1/2 cups flour mixture (990 grams)
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast or quick rise yeast
- 1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp organic sugar
- 4 egg whites organic free run/range + 3 3/4 cups warm water
*save the egg yolks for our Créme Brûlée recipe.
- Put the 4 egg whites in a large measure cup. Then fill up with warm water until you have 3 3/4 cups all together. Set aside for a minute.
- Put in your flour mixture, yeast, salt and sugar. Blend for a minute.
- Slowly add your egg/water mixture to the flours as it mixes. When it's all added, but mixer on med-high for 1 minute. (The dough should look like soft biscuit dough.)
- Place the dough in a plastic container that has a lid. Make sure it's large enough to handle the dough rising. Put the lid on but leave a crack open. It should NOT be airtight.
- Let rise at room temperature for about 2 hours.
- After it has risen, dust a piece of parchment paper with the GF flour blend. Take about 1 pound of dough and shape into a ball and place on parchment.
- Dipping your fingers in some water, smooth out the top. Cover with some plastic wrap and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450˚F
- After, I like to mark the top with a 'X', dust with a bit more GF flour blend. Place in oven, still on parchment paper and bake for 45 minutes or until nice and brown.
- Voila! Let it cool a little before you cut, but enjoy while it still warm. We like it with honey or jam or just good old butter!