Tried and true, this easy gluten free bread recipe doesn't require a chemist to mix it up or +10 different kinds of gluten free flours. From start to finish it takes just over an hour. Now that's not bad!
- 2 cups organic white rice flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tbsp fast rise yeast
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 3 egg whites, slightly beaten
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- additional melting butter for brushing
- coconut flour for dusting (or cornmeal)
*Original recipe from here.
- Mix the flours, xanthan gum, salt. Set aside
- In separate bowl, dissolve sugar in water then add yeast. Wait for it to get foamy then blend with dry ingredients.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on high for 3 minutes.
- Butter a baking sheet and dust with coconut flour.
- Form two loaves and cut diagonally with a buttered knife. Brush with butter when done.
- Cover and leave* in a warm place to rise until doubled in size (about 25 minutes).
*Tip: To warm the bread while it rises, I turn my oven on at 100˚F for 2 minutes, then turn it off and place the baking sheet inside.
- Once the dough as risen, turn oven on to 400˚F and bake for 30-40 minutes (depending on your oven).
- Once nicely browned remove and let cool slightly.
- Slice and enjoy with your favorite spread or meal.
With your delicious gluten free french bread you can make a tasty appetizer like this little gem found here. Just substitute the sourdough bread for your own GF and cancel out the basil oil and just use fresh chopped basil.